1) Comfortable: it is important that the clothes should be comfortable. Make them select their clothes as well this will be happy wearing what they select, this way they will be happy wearing what they select, this will add to their confidence and self esteem and they will also develop their fashion sense. The fabric should be smooth and not irritate the skin. It should be light weight.
2) Climate and fabric: The fabric should be selected according to the climate to make it more suitable for eg: during summer cotton clothes should be preferred as cotton absorbs perspiration easily. Now days organic kids wear are in demand and gained popularity due to various reasons, the entire cloth is designed from high grade organic cotton, which allows the sensitive skin of children to breathe and prevent from rashes and allergies.
3) Ease of Dressing and Undressing: Tight dresses should be avoided; they tend to have larger stomach. Children wear must have sufficient seam allowances and must offer styles so that adults and children should be able to wear and remove the garment easily.
4) Fasteners: Kids wear should not have drawstring as they have tendency to wind around the child neck and cause danger. Fasteners should not be attached in the wrong place which may hurt the kid. They should be soft, warm and porous and for babies elasticised garment should be avoided.
5) Trimmings: Trim can make a garment special to a child like decorative machine stitching, embroidery, smocking, ribbons, braid, ruffles but keep in mind hard materials having sharp edges should not be used in babies garments as it may harm the tender skin.
6) Opening: For kids full opening should be preferred. Always use Velcro as kids just love having Velcro on their clothes as it is easier for them to change their clothes.
7) Flame retardant: The fabric should be flame retardant as children love to experiment and may play with fire as they are unaware of its harm effects.